How Can I Get Started With the Foster and Adoption Process?
- Select an agency or county and attend an adoption orientation.
- Complete the foster care and adoption application.
- Begin training classes.
- Complete the background checks.
- Complete the home study process by becoming an approved adoptive family with the county or agency.
- Bring the foster child into your home.
- After a minimum of six months (if the child is legally free) you can then finalize the adoption in your county court or the county where the agency is located.
Who are These Waiting Children?
- In the US there are 104,000 foster children that are legally free and waiting to be adopted.
- There are approximately 3,000 children in foster care in Colorado, and there are around 303 of them are waiting to be adopted.
- Through no fault of their own, these children enter foster care as a result of abuse, neglect and/or abandonment.
- The average age of children waiting for an adoptive family is 9.